Chicken nuggets are delicious treat that kids drool over. They are easy to prepare and work with a wide variety of sauces. For many families, they are perfect snack or a wonderful main dish for a quick dinner. Unfortunately, chicken nuggets as we traditionally know them are not famous for being healthy. And if you take a closer look at their ingredients, it’s debatable whether you’re eating chicken at all. So while picking up a bag of frozen chicken nuggets at your grocery store might be more convenient, it might not be the best choice when you’re looking for something healthy or wholesome.
With a bit of creativity and an eye for fresh ingredients, you can use your outdoor grill to prepare a wonderful alternative. It won’t be as fast or easy to prepare these BBQ chicken nuggets, but the overall taste will more than make up for it. Please enjoy this recipe for chicken nuggets done barbecue style!
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp powdered onion
2 tsp chili powder (leave out if you don’t want spicy)
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt and pepper
Chicken Breasts (or thighs if you prefer a more tender nugget)
1/4 cup olive oil
1. The first step is to prepare the barbecue glaze or sauce. Of course you can use a standard bottled product if you’re short on time. But if you’ve never made a real sauce before, this is the perfect place to start. The great thing about making your own sauce is being able to control each and every ingredient and adjusting to your personal taste.
2. In a small saucepan, whisk together your Apple cider vinegar and then pour in your dried powders all at the same time. Bring to a boil and continue to whisk in the rest of your wet ingredients (Worcestershire sauce, Maple syrup, and ketchup) instead of Maple syrup, you can also use something else sweet like honey, or even molasses. Lower the overall heat to medium allowing to bubble and thicken.
Congratulations! You’ve just made your first barbecue sauce. Remember, this is more of a glaze so be careful not to have your food coated in it in the beginning of the cooking process. Otherwise you might experience a bit of burning.
3. Preheat your barbecue grill to 400-425 degrees F.
4. While your barbecue is reaching optimal oven temperatures, you’re going to shake and bake your chicken together with the flour and spices. You can play around with other dried herbs and seasonings as well, but simple salt-and-pepper works just fine. Remember, you’ll be getting plenty of flavor from the sauce as well.
5. Place your chicken nuggets on a baking sheet and drizzle olive oil over them. Leave them in your barbecue for about 15 minutes, then coat each piece with your sauce. Continue baking for another 7 minutes.
6. Let your nuggets it for about 3 minutes. You can add another coat of sauce or simply leave it on the side as a dipping sauce.
And there you have it, a much healthier all-natural chicken nugget that isn’t made of mystery parts. Serve alongside a simple garden salad for a great low cholesterol meal the whole family will enjoy.
This recipe comes from Gas Grills and BBQ, a site for barbecue lovers worldwide. You can find more BBQ ideas or reviews on the best products by visiting http://gasgrillsandbbq.com/