Nuts have always been enjoyed as a delicious snack, however, research has shown that nuts are an excellent source of protein and contain numerous vitamins that help the body function; no longer are nuts just a fun snack, now you actually have an excuse to eat them!
Nuts have been around as a food source for thousands of years. Today, nuts are not only eaten as a snack, but can also be incorporated into many nut recipes to add extra nutrition and that extra delicious crunch that you love. If you really need a reason to enjoy a healthy, delicious snack consisting of nuts, below are 10 reasons to eat nuts.
1) Completely natural: For all of the vegans out there, nuts are raw and entirely natural; no violence and no added preservatives. Furthermore, nuts can offer an essential source of protein.
2) Aha, there’s that Vitamin E: Nuts contain Vitamin E, a vitamin that is rare in most foods. Vitamin E is an antioxidant that can aid in fighting certain types of cancers such as prostate and lung cancers. There’s no reason to pop a vitamin E pill, all you have to do is grab a handful of nuts and be on your way.
3) Slow burning: Nuts are especially good for providing energy that is slow burning, which is one of the reasons that nuts can be found in so many types of trail mix; nuts provide energy that lasts.
4) Good fat: While it’s true that nuts are high in fat, nuts have what can be considered “good” fats. The fats found in nuts can help reduce insulin resistance while improving heart health. Although nuts sometimes get a bad reputation for the amount of fat they contain, nuts contain unsaturated fatty acids that have been shown to significantly decrease the risk of heart disease.
5) Healthy cholesterol levels: Research has shown that nuts such as almonds, walnuts, and peanuts contain plant sterols. Plant sterols are known to decrease cholesterol levels as they contain a natural compound known as resveratrol; resveratrol is known for reducing the risk of heart disease. Additionally, walnuts have high levels of omega-3 fats which only increases its ability to help protect against heart disease.
6) Weight loss: As nuts can help make you feel fuller for longer, they may even be able to aid in weight loss. Due to their high fiber and protein content, nuts are a natural appetite suppressant.
7) Healthy digestion: In addition to being an appetite suppressant, nuts can also help with healthy digestion. Cashews contain high amounts of iron which helps the body’s enzyme production. Furthermore, cashews also contain high levels of zinc; zinc deals directly with metabolism and digestion.
8) Healthy hair and skin: Peanuts contain high levels of potassium; the increased levels of potassium can help with keeping your hair and skin healthier. Additionally, potassium is excellent for muscle tone. Speaking of working out, potassium also helps the body maintain stable water levels which can help prevent uncomfortable cramping during workouts.
9) Calcium Rich: Almonds are extremely high in calcium; calcium is responsible for healthy bones and teeth. Not only that, almonds contain high levels of antioxidants.
10) Simply delicious: On top of all of their amazing health benefits, nuts are absolutely delicious in a variety of different dishes. There are numerous nut recipes available so that you can enjoy your favorite healthy nuts in more ways than just a mid-day snack.
John Grant is a professional blogger and printed writer on many subjects relating to the importance of balanced diets. He also writes on the nutritional importance of many natural foods available on the market and is currently traveling around many countries for further research into abundant food products that can offer more healthy diet requirements such as nut recipes.