Minimal salt consumption and avoidance of high potassium foods are a few vital food guidelines to be adhered to when taking Aldactone.
Aldactone is used to manage disorders in which the body makes surplus aldosterone. Aldosterone is primarily a hormone produced by the adrenal glands that assists to stabilize sodium and water equilibrium in the body. Furthermore, Aldactone, comprising of the key component Spironolactone is suggested by medical experts to deal with fluid retention in people with the conditions given below:
• Cirrhosis of the liver
• A kidney ailment termed as nephrotic syndrome
• Congestive heart failure
Generic Aldactone is required to be consumed as per the healthcare provider’s recommended therapy program. In addition to treatment, one also needs to make specific alterations in the dietary regime. Thus, people planning to take Aldactone must speak to the family doctor so as to know about the foods to avoid during treatment.
Certain food limitations consist of:
1. Aldactone is mainly a potassium sparing diuretic that restricts the body from holding excess quantities of salt and simultaneously it keeps the potassium levels elevated. Therefore, you should refrain from eating food items that have greater quantities of potassium while taking Aldactone, since it can aggravate the likelihood of having unusually high potassium levels also known as hyperkalemia that could be lethal for your well-being. Some fruits and vegetables that consist of potassium and must not be incorporated in your meals include bananas, kiwis, oranges or orange juice, mangoes, papaya, raisins, tomatoes, Brussel sprouts, pumpkin, white and sweet potatoes and asparagus. Moreover, avoid salt alternatives that consist of potassium chloride in place of sodium chloride.
2. Minimize salt consumption as far as possible. Eating food items high in sodium could cause the body to hold water, thus reducing the efficiency of Aldactone.
Few simple ideas for decreasing sodium intake:
• Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables rather than canned or processed food items
• Make sure you read food labels to check salt composition. Choose low-sodium foods
• Avoid making use of salt while cooking in your kitchen. Rather, include herbs and spices to enhance the flavour. Lemon juice can also be used as a substitute while making fish or vegetables.
• If you are dining out, you may ask for the food ordered to be cooked with minimum salt or with no salt.
3. One more important change that ought to be made is to avoid alcoholic beverages in the course of therapy as it can maximize the unpleasant symptoms concerning this medication, like sleepiness, nausea, upset stomach, unequal heartbeat or muscle pain. Besides, it could even result in a decline in blood pressure levels.
Along with the restrictions stated above, one should have a discussion with the physician regarding any other limitations or preventive measures, which must be taken related to diet. Over the course of therapy, you should check your weight regularly and keep a record. Notify the doctor if you spot an increase of 5 pounds in 7 days’ time. Tests may be conducted to check the kidney functioning and blood pressure ranges might be checked on a regular basis. Ensure that you don’t skip any appointments with the general practitioner, which is vital to monitor improvement.