The use of electricity in everyday living has made people’s lives easier and more comfortable. Electrical devices are required in almost any kind of activity, be it in the office or at home. Without electricity and all the appliances that make homemaking and work-related tasks easier, life is just like hunting, farming, and milling your own food while donning designer heels or a silk necktie. However, the use of electricity also presents certain risks, especially if the user is not careful enough to avoid electricity-related accidents. To help prevent such accidents from occurring at home, acquaint yourself with some of the most common electric blunders that happen at home and how they can be avoided.

Electricity Accident 389x291 The Most Common Electricity Related Accidents at Home and How You Can Avoid Them

Bathroom Shocks: The Risks of Hairdryers

Most individuals prefer to dry their hair using hairdryers right after a shower, but those who rush at using it increase the risk of getting shocked when they touch the tool with damp hands. The plug, cord, and power buttons are not the only things you should keep from getting wet; the air intake of the dryer can also suck up some moisture by accident, which can lead to a short circuit and/or a user with his/her hair standing on end.

What to do: It is more advisable to towel-dry your hair (and the rest of your body) first before using this common hygiene tool. This eliminates the risk of getting shocked by holding the dryer with damp hands. Also, wipe the entire dryer from the plug to its body with a clean cloth before use to make sure no moisture gets in by accident.

Bedside Lamp Blunders

Almost everyone enjoys a good read before snoozing off, but leaving the bedside lamp on increases the risk of a short circuit and may even cause fire.

What to do: Make sure to turn off the bedside lamp before dozing off. If you’re the kind of person who would doze off without knowing it, it is advisable to make use of the rechargeable bedside lamps that aren’t plugged in when in use. This way, there is no worry about short circuits or high electricity bills. The bedside lamp can be charged up in the morning when you are mindful enough not to forget to turn it off when needed.

Electric Sockets within Your Toddler’s Reach

Always remember that toddlers like to imitate what their parents or older siblings are doing, so if they see you plug an appliance in an electric socket they could reach, beware! They are definitely going to try out what you’re doing, and not just by using an electric plug. Anything that can fit in; pens, wires, and even their fingers are likely to be used in their little experiment.

What to do: To avoid the risk of electrocution of or short circuits caused by toddlers, NEVER let them see you plugging something into a socket! However, if they know what it is already, always remind them not to touch the socket under any circumstances. Don’t tease your toddlers into trying out this experiment by leaving behind things they could use to try out those mysterious holes in the wall that make the TV or computer work.

Laura is a writer for uSwitch.com, an excellent provider of information and references about fuel and electricity prices, as well as energy-related topics.