Having a perfectly white smile is one of the biggest confidence boosters you can have and being able to show it off in a natural way will make you seem more likeable and friendly. People who are embarrassed about their smile rarely exude the same level of confidence but with a little time and some of these tips you will soon notice that the smile is brightening along with your mood.
1) The number one way to prevent discoloration, cavities and gum disease is to make sure you follow the normal dental hygiene routine that has been drilled into you since you were a child. Regular brushing, at least twice daily combined with flossing will help ensure your teeth have the best fighting chance to bolster your smile.
2) Keeping up on your dental appointments even if you think nothing is wrong to at least get your teeth cleaned twice a year will make maintaining a whiter smile much easier. Everything you can do that removes any buildup of plaque and other discolorations will make any natural process you decide to use for whitening your teeth further without resorting to expensive cosmetic dentistry that much more effective.
3) Keep water with you where possible and if you are eating out order water with your meal so you can discreetly rinse your mouth after eating. Try to stay away from any water that contains fluoride, including toothpastes as fluoride can cause discoloration.
4) Stay away from drinking large quantities of soda particularly cola, red wine, coffee and tea as they tend to stain your teeth or dental implants, although you can minimize the effect with regular rinsing during the day and using chewing gum to force your mouth to clean itself after drinking a cup or two.
5) An unusual at home treatment is actually to use hard wood ash. Hard wood ash contains high levels of potassium which acts as a bleaching agent for teeth. This method is very effective but should not be used frequently as although the tiny potassium crystal are excellent for removing stains prolonged use can cause your tooth enamel to become weakened.
6) A better method although slightly slower is to make a paste out of Baking Soda and Hydrogen Peroxide. Hydrogen Peroxide can be obtained from most drugstores and is relatively inexpensive. To use it mix equal amounts of both ingredients to make a paste and you can add some mint toothpaste to the mixture to make it taste better. Use this mixture instead of your regular toothpaste a couple times a week and make sure you don’t swallow it. Once you have finished brushing with the paste add a small amount of the Hydrogen Peroxide to water and use to rinse your mouth afterwards.
7) Strawberries get a lot of press for their natural teeth whitening properties. There are a couple of methods you can use for this. One is to cut a strawberry in half and rubs the half over your teeth using the natural acid to remove any stains. The other is to squash a strawberry to a pulp and mix it with baking soda to form a toothpaste substitute in a similar way to tip six. Strawberries however suffer the same limitations as Wood Ash so rare use is advised rather than regular
8) Try to increase the amount of raw vegetables you eat, if possible have a late afternoon snack of raw carrots, celery and broccoli as theses vegetables will actually clean your mouth as you eat them.
About the Author
Melissa Cameron is a wife and stay at home mother of two, and lives in Austin, Texas. She loves to research, and provide tips and consumer advice. Her latest project is undergoing research on kid’s dentistry with the assistance of Dr. Diane Birda Vancouver BC dentist.